Engage Watersports at Taplow Lake
We have agreed with Engage Watersports at Taplow Lake a selection of water activities that any of our Leaders can easily arrange direct with Engage Watersports providing easy to organise and exciting activities for our young people. This is open to Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Explorers and our 18-25 team. Beavers must have the agreement of their GSL and the activity must be undertaken in line with the protocol that the District Commissioner has circulated to Beaver Scout Leaders.
The activities and maximum numbers that can be undertaken are as follows:
- Kayaking on Taplow Lake – 24 max
- Kayaking on the Jubilee River – 16 max
- Canoeing on Taplow Lake – 20 max
- Canoeing on Jubilee River – 16 max
- Rafting Building on Taplow Lake – 30 max
- Stand up paddle boarding on Taplow Lake – 16 max
The cost inclusive of all equipment and instruction is £15 per person for a 2 hour session (1.5hrs on the water). Regarding max numbers this does vary, but this can be up to up to 30 depending on activity and location.
All you need to do to arrange this is log on to the following dedicated website link and request a booking. They will respond within 48 hours. Simplicity itself!
Alternatively you can phone Engage Watersports on 01628 671131 and explain you are from Maidenhead Scouts, and make a booking that is convenient to you and them. It is as simple as that!
To reclaim 50% of the cost from District fill out Water Activities Reclaim Form
There are a couple of simple stipulations:
- A Leader must be present (although not necessarily on the water)
- The Leader must ensure compliance with POR Rule 9.42 regarding ability to swim – Rule 9.42(a) states : “Members taking part in any water activity (those which take place on or in the water) must be able to demonstrate to a suitable person their ability to swim 50 metres in clothing and equipment appropriate to the activity (where a buoyancy aid or life jacket is worn for the activity this may be used for the demonstration) and keep afloat for five minutes. Anyone unable to meet these requirements is classified as a non-swimmer and must follow Rule 9.42(b).
In order to support you taking your Colony, Pack, Troop or Unit on these exciting activities, the District Executive Committee has agreed to subsidise them. So in any given time period (see below) the District will pay 50% of the cost of any one evening in that period for every Beaver Colony, Cub Pack, Scout Troop or Explorer Scout Unit.
The periods for the subsidy are:
- March to June
- July to October
- November to February
The subsidy can only be used once in any one period! You can still go more often, but no subsidy will be available.
You will still need to complete the District Activities Form in the usual way.