Activities Check List – Scouts & Explorer Scouts

See also Scout Association Fact Sheets FS120084 Scout Led Activities Index & FS120086 Commercially Led Activities Index

This checklist is designed solely as an aid to activity planning, leaders must ensure that any planned activity complies with all relevant sections of P.O.R.

General (applies to all activities)

Parental Permission

Leaders should always ensure that parents are aware of, and agree to, the nature of the activities planned.

Medical Permission

The Children’s Act 1989 states that “a person who has parental responsibility for a child may not surrender or transfer any part of that responsibility.” Parents/guardians may be asked to sign medical consent forms and those forms may be accepted by medical staff in the event of an emergency. However, both parents and leaders should be aware that medical practitioners have the right to demand the specific consent of the parent/guardian. See FS120082

Risk Assessment

We need to assess and control the risks associated with activities in order to minimise the chance of injury. A risk assessment is simply a look at what could go
wrong, both before and during the activity, then deciding on ways to prevent, or minimise, these potential problems. See FS120000.

In Touch

See FS120075.

Adult Assistance

See here for guidelines of when adult helpers need to be registered as “Occasional Helpers” and complete a CRB/DBS check.


Only members of the Association are covered automatically by Scout Personal Accident and Medical Expenses Insurance; any non-member helpers, or family members
will need to be added. The Scout Association Legal Liability Insurance does not cover liabilities arising from the operation of motor vehicles, boats or aircraft.
“For insurance cover by Headquarters to be effective, the Rules of the Association must be complied with, particularly those Rules governing the organisation of activities and safety precautions applying to activities” P.O.R. 8.3

Further information from Unity (formerly Scout) Insurance Services


Leaders and helpers vehicles must have appropriate insurance cover and must be in roadworthy condition. Mini-bus drivers should be qualified. Seat belts and child restraints must be available, and used, as required by regulations; see FS320006. For other transport concerns, consult the Scout Association Information Centre


If any person, whether a Member of the Movement or not, suffers personal injury, necessitating treatment by a doctor, dentist or at a hospital; or requires rescuing involving any Emergency Service, or dies in the course of, or arising out of, a Scout activity or whilst on, or in conjunction with, any Scout property or if an accident during a Scout activity results in third party damage, Headquarters must be informed immediately. Full procedures in P.O.R. Chapter 7. Aide memoir see FS120079

Activities as defined in P.O.R. Chapter 9

All activities are subject to approval by the DC. An activity away from your base should be notified via either an Activity Form, see or, if it involves an overnight, Nights Away Form.

Camps and Expeditions

A Leader or other adult leading a camp or residential experience for Scouts or Explorers must hold a valid Nights Away Permit, have the agreement of their Section Leader and, as a minimum, attend the event overnight; they remain responsible for the event at all times. Notification of the event should be made (Nights Away Form, see above), at least 7 days prior. See P.O.R. 9.55 – 9.64

A Scout or Explorer Scout may lead a camping or residential event if issued with an Event Passport. An Event Passport may be issued for one event only, by a permit holder who is validated for that type of event. The permit holder has responsibility for the notification of the event and must provide support during both the preparation and the event itself and be satisfied that the young person has the required abilities, but is not required to attend the event.

Nights Away Permits are issued by the District as detailed in P.O.R. 9.57a – 9.57k.

Alcohol and Scouting – Fs185092

The right to smoke-free Scouting – Fs320005

Adventurous Activities Permit Scheme

See FS120100

Any Leader acting as an instructor for any of the following activities must be in possession of a permit issued under this scheme. The scheme applies to Hill Walking and Mountain Biking (in Terrain One and Two), Climbing and Abseiling, Caving, Snowsports (except artificial and nursery slopes), Water Activities (except swimming and Class C Waters) and Hovercrafting.


For other Fact Sheets appropriate to these and other activities search

Lowland Walking & Cycling

A permit is not required. Leaders must ensure appropriate planning and training and participants are suitably equipped. For cycling, on or off road, bikes must be roadworthy and cycle helmets must be worn.

Air Activities

P.O.R. 9.11-9.20. Visits to civil airports confined to the spectators’ enclosure or to Service establishments on an open day are not subject to specific authorisation. All Groups undertaking Air Activities including Hovercrafting must notify the Scout Information Centre and County Air Activities Adviser or ACC (Activities) beforehand.

Use of Professional Centres and Instructors

When professional instructors or leaders from outside the Movement are engaged for caving, climbing, trekking or watersports in the United Kingdom, they may be subject to the Adventure Activity Licensing Regulations 1996. Leaders must check if a licence is required and, if appropriate, is held. When professional instructors are engaged for an adventurous activity not subject to the Licensing Regulations, they must be qualified to the level recommended by the appropriate National Governing Body, Government Agency or other body recognised by Headquarters. See P.O.R. Rule 9.9.

Other Activities

See P.O.R see link below or contact the ADC(Activities)

P.O.R. see