Activity and Nights Away Approval Process
Approving Activities in Maidenhead District.
POR (rule 9.1b) states that “the District Commissioner is responsible for approving all activities for Beaver Scouts, Cub Scouts, Scouts and Explorer Scouts. This will usually be by means of an informal system agreed between the District Commissioner and each Group Scout Leader or District Explorer Scout Commissioner”.
This document sets out the approval process to be adopted in Maidenhead District.
- For activities taking place outside of the normal meeting venue, or where they require an activity permit (see PO&R9.7), or require other specific qualifications (eg: shooting, swimming, air activities, etc), an Activity and Nights Away approval request should be submitted using the Berkshire Scouts on-line notification system. These should be submitted no later than seven days prior to the event taking place.
- Group Scout Leaders are responsible for approving all activities that take place within the normal meeting venue for Beaver, Cub, and Scout sections in their Group (with the exception of those mentioned elsewhere in this document). In the absence of the GSL, please refer to the DC.
- The District Explorer Scout Commissioner is responsible for approving all activities that take place within the normal meeting venue for Explorer Scout Units in the District (with the exception of those mentioned elsewhere in this document). In the absence of a DESC, the DC will be the approver.
- All activities taking place outside of the normal meeting venue and/or requiring permits or other specialist qualifications must be approved by the DC or in his absence – an ADC.
- All Nights Away, Visits Abroad and District led activities must be approved by the DC.
- Upon receipt of an approval request, the DC will undertake checks to confirm that the activity complies with PO&R including (but not limited to) checking the correct permit is in place (where required); suitable risk assessments have been prepared and shared with those running the event; leaders running the activity are up to date with mandatory training; and appropriate In Touch arrangements are in place.
- The DC will confirm approval in writing, normally via email. If the DC has concerns about the activity they will discuss these concerns with the relevant leader/GSL/DESC.
- For activities and events involving only adults (adult only nights away 9.57m iv and Adult Groups in Adventurous Activites 9.8) the DC must be notified at least seven days in advance of the activity taking place using the Berkshire Scouts on-line submission form.
- The leader in charge of an activity or nights away event is responsible for ensuring approval is obtained in advance, though the application process can be delegated.
This process will be reviewed regularly, ideally at least once a year.
Date agreed: 01/09/2020
Agreed by: Rob Harris (District Commissioner)